Hi. You have reached the blog A Bookworm’s Musing at https://abookwormsmusing.wordpress.com/.
This is a WordPress.com website, and as such, some data is collected by Automattic when you, a visitor, come to their user’s (our) website. This is collected in a few different ways.
When you leave a comment, or use a contact form (currently not under use on this website), you provide some information directly. On this website, that mostly happens in two ways.
1. Following the Blog: When you sign up to follow or subscribe, sign-up information is collected, which typically includes an email address.
2. Site Comments: When you leave a comment, the text of that comment, and other information that the you provide along with the comment, like name and e-mail address is collected.
Some information is also collected automatically by Automattic when you visit the blog.
1. Technical Data from a Visitor’s Computer and Etcetera: Automattic collects the information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available about visitors to a Site, such as the IP address, browser type, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
2. Visitor Interactions: Information collected about a visitor’s interactions with a Site, including the “likes” and “ratings” left by visitors to a Site using WordPress.com or Jetpack.
3. Location Information: To determine the approximate location of a visitor’s device from the IP address. This information is collected and used to, for example, tally how many people visit the site from certain geographic regions.
4. Akismet Commenter Information: We collect information about visitors who comment on Sites that use our Akismet anti-spam service. The information we collect depends on how the User sets up Akismet for the Site, but typically includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and Site URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address…oh, and the comment itself, of course).
How Automattic uses Visitor Information
Automattic uses information about this site’s visitors in order to provide their services to us. For eg, to create and manage the site, offer a service on their site, flag and fight comments from spammers, and collect information through polls, quizzes and other surveys (this last part isn’t applicable currently to ABWM).
In addition to the above, they also use some information from visitors who are also Automattic users.
They may also use and share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify any individual. For instance, to publish aggregate statistics about the use of their services.
Please refer to Automattic’s Privacy Notice for Visitors to Their Users’ Sites for further information including How Automattic may share Visitor Information.
If you request a review via our contact form (currently not active), the information collected stays only until we reply to your request, or fifteen days, whichever is earlier. No information collected will be shared with anyone else by us, and it is used only to interact with you regarding your review request.